One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Haddock cured with the smoke of green wood, turf, or peat.
- ‘But, then, virtually everything is to be found on the menu of Red Onion: it's an A-Z road map of the edible world, from nasi goreng to finnan haddie.’
- ‘I have two finnan haddie fillets in my freezer, left over from a shipment I received last year and I hope to try and recreate this dish with it, at home, soon.’
- ‘Alistair started off with west coast lobster bisque with white wine, saffron and cognac, while I went for the finnan haddock and lobster risotto with smoked salmon cream and poached egg.’
- ‘One fine and comforting dish that The Cellar has had on the menu for aeons is the omelette filled with creamy finnan haddock, which R ordered with the canny eye you'd expect from the former harbour master of Crail.’
- ‘While fellow guests at table 10 relished warm finnan haddock and roast saddle of lamb, Simpson was growing hot under his tuxedo.’
Early 18th century: alteration of Findon, the name of a fishing village near Aberdeen in Scotland, but sometimes confused with the Scottish river and village of Findhorn.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.