Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Thick paint designed to be applied with the fingers, used especially by young children.
- ‘This is a fine way to honor the messy munchkin inside you with plenty of papier-mâché, finger-paints, or oodles of play-doh!’
- ‘The pictures in my book are all finger-paints.’
(especially of children) apply paint with the fingers.
- ‘Gone are the days when nursery meant simply playing with Lego and finger-painting.’
- ‘This early hand- and finger-painting is actually a basic transfer process that marks the beginning stages of what is later called a ‘monoprint’ process.’
- ‘She suspects she could do something similar by finger-painting while blindfolded.’
- ‘You love to finger-paint with artistic Pisceans’
- ‘And then, after we sing, we'll do some finger-painting.’
- ‘The junior artist can be in charge of finger-painting, while you take charge of the actual construction of the piece.’
- ‘It's silly, debatably sexy and it allows for a kind of freeform creativity most people haven't engaged in since finger-painting as a tyke.’
- ‘There are many interesting and fun activities on offer: important historical lessons can be learnt at the Constitutional Court and the two prisons while children finger-paint, make puppets or climb the tree of justice.’
- ‘‘My whole life I am constantly fighting all kinds of depression and terror and anxiety and I find that, like a mental patient in an institution, if they keep the patient busy finger-painting then they are more relaxed,’ said the director.’
- ‘Just like old times… When we were three years old and at the same daycare, finger painting on the walls.’
- ‘Joe, Blue, and their friends are finger-painting and Blue wants to add someone else to the picture.’
- ‘I know that whatever I do, whether it's messy finger-painting at age 2 or sloppy typing at age 42, she is going to be supportive.’
- ‘He finds her finger painting herself, like the five-year-old they lost.’
- ‘Forget the busloads of schoolkids and finger painting - this is real art education.’
- ‘There's another flashback scene where you see Evan in kindergarten class and he finger-paints the words ‘Kill me before it's too late.’’
- ‘When I came home from an exhausting day of finger-painting in preschool, I never had the option of relaxing before a TV set and singing along to my favorite songs from Barney and Friends.’
finger paint/ˈfiNGɡər ˌpānt/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.