One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a liquid) reach the same height in containers which are interconnected.
- ‘In this manner, the water element of the body finds its level in the seat, groin and feet.’
- ‘After about 5-10 minutes the water has found its level and the gates can easily be opened.’
- ‘Long before an infant understands that milk finds its own level he or she learns to up-end the bottle to feed.’
- ‘Water automatically finds its level; you could say that it longs for it; looks for it; runs to it.’
- ‘Like water finding its level, information seeps through the tiniest cracks to those seeking it.’
- ‘Once the coolant found its level the car ran fine.’
- ‘We all realise that water finds its own level and if there is a leak it will move on to the next weakest spot.’
- ‘Water finds its own level - it's all about gravity.’
- ‘This is a gentle, natural process, like water finding its own level when poured on the ground.’
- ‘In a similar fashion to water finding its own level, cold air behaves in similar ways.’
- 1.1 Reach a stable level, value, or position without interference.
- ‘Far better, he says, to gradually withdraw subsidies and let farming find its own level in the market place.’
- ‘The view that everything would find its own level in the commercial jungle was automatically accepted.’
- ‘The market's going to find its own level without being influenced.’
- ‘A floating exchange rate is one that is allowed to find its own level according to the forces of supply and demand.’
- ‘One good thing about market forces is that every institution or sector finds its own level.’
- ‘Like anything, a new upheaval just finds its level.’
- ‘The national market was finding its own level without any dramatic fluctuation.’
- ‘The currency was allowed to find its own level and deflation, not inflation, was identified as the major enemy.’
- ‘The rupee will find its level.’
- ‘Regardless of whether the currency's strength is sustainable or not, what is seriously needed is for it to find its level and to stabilise.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.