A seed-eating songbird that typically has a stout bill and colorful plumage.
- ‘Their bills are slimmer than those of most finches.’
- ‘Sometimes they are called Painted finches, or Rainbow finches.’
- ‘In late summer and early fall, flocks of tiny finches and other seed-eating birds swoop in to graze among the spent blooms.’
- ‘Finches get bigger, fish gets smaller, but a finch is still a finch and a fish is still a fish.’
- ‘Birdsong enters the cottage from front and back - blackbirds, robins, finches.’
Old English finc; related to Dutch vink and German Fink.