One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A competitor or team in the final or finals of a competition.
- ‘A Rhodes Scholarship finalist, she will pursue a Ph.D. in Near Eastern studies at Berkeley.’
- ‘It was far from the preserve of the independently educated - and two finalists go to state schools.’
- ‘He takes man and dog to a local show where, to his delight, they win the breed class and are finalists in Best In Show.’
- ‘A picture framer who set up his own business in Broadway has been named a finalist in a national competition for the third year running.’
- ‘Wake Forest, the other finalist in the players' recruitment, followed the same approach.’
- ‘More and more, this team looks capable of becoming a conference finalist.’
- ‘The other finalists, should England make it to the World Cup will be either Spain or Germany.’
- ‘The six finalists are design graduates and are creating gardens based on design concepts for city gardens.’
- ‘Mr Shepherd has been a Student of the Year finalist for the past three years,’
- ‘In a Canadian university, a male and a female candidate were finalists for a tenurable position in philosophy.’
- ‘Thankfully things got better as the worst of the finalists were gradually sent packing.’
- ‘She will almost certainly make England's team for Manchester 2002 and is a potential finalist.’
- ‘He is a finalist for the Hart Trophy as the league's most valuable player.’
- ‘The 40 finalists were divided into teams and they were given various challenges.’
- ‘Nominations were made by their teachers and the finalists will be judged by the trustees of the fund.’
- ‘None of which is meant to diminish the achievements of the two finalists.’
- ‘Each of the finalists in the dance competition won a pair of cinema tickets and a goody bag.’
- ‘The three will include both finalists and the winner of the qualifying final.’
- ‘First questions came from former Olympic champion and defeated finalist - US swimmer Janet Evans.’
- ‘Another look at the past winners and finalists of the Champions League shows that the system does indeed seem to work.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.