One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The last part of the transmission system in a motor vehicle.
- ‘The vehicle is fitted with an upgraded suspension system with improved final drives.’
- ‘The four speed auto gearbox has a final drive of 0.725, which combined with the final drive ratio of 3.9 really does make for effortless cruising within the official speed limits - or even when taken way past the maximum.’
- ‘The tractor's axles and final drive were salvaged from an earthmover, and the gearbox came from a large military vehicle.’
- ‘This isn't just an overdrive cog added to the old gearbox either, but a whole new set of close ratios with the new top gear being only slightly higher than the old one, while first is now slightly lower, as is the final drive.’
- ‘Even though it's cheaper to rebuild the final drives than buy a new dozer, you don't improve the reliability of the electrical system, the hydraulic system, the steering, or the braking.’
- ‘The engine is decoupled from the final drives allowing flexibility in the placing of systems in the vehicle and also easily allows two engines to be installed instead of one.’
- ‘You're going to increase transmission life, but really you increase the life of all the power train downstream also - in the final drives and so forth - because you're putting less peak load through the power train.’
- ‘The final drive is also a critical parameter and must be adjusted with care.’
- ‘The Allison MD3560 six forward plus one reverse speed automatic transmission has differentials and final drives on both the rear and front cabins.’
- ‘It has a final drive ration of 3.543: 1 and weighs 236 pounds, about 26 pounds more than the five-speed automatic in the RX330.’
- ‘The diesel versions, with an impressive 310 Nm torque output, use a lower final drive and are free of this annoyance.’
- ‘Unfunded improvements are available in the areas of bridge, suspension, hydraulics, final drives, electrical, and water rations heater.’
- ‘The 60 hp model is fitted with a complete Carrero gearbox, backend and final drives similar to some of the smaller Renault Tractors.’
- ‘Power is transmitted via cardan shafts to the final drives at the front ends of the forward and rear chassis.’
- ‘Both gearbox and final drive ratios have been changed to suit the new engine and the result is very satisfactory.’
- ‘If you just consider propulsion and suspensions, each of these vehicles has different track, road wheels, road wheel arms, hub and bearing assemblies, final drives, sprockets, engines, transmissions and generators.’
- ‘The final drive ratio for the 4x4 variants is 4.444, while the 2x4 gets a 4.1 and I believe the 4x4 would benefit from the 4.1 final drive.’
- ‘There are disc type brakes, on each of the final drives, integrated by the transmission retarder.’
- ‘The final drives were selected for heavy-duty work cycles and a high tractive effort.’
- ‘The mechanical transmission includes primary reduction gear, two planetary final gearboxes and two planetary final drives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.