One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A monetary unit of Iraq, Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, and Yemen, equal to one hundredth of a riyal in Yemen and one thousandth of a dinar elsewhere.
- ‘Diesel prices rise by 30 fils for second time in a month.’
- ‘You can cross the creek on a dhow-ferry which costs 50 fils or 9p.’
- ‘The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) announced last year plans to increase the cost of crossing the creek by traditional motor boat from 50 fils to Dh1 by January 1.’
From a colloquial pronunciation of Arabic fals, denoting a small copper coin.
Used after a surname to distinguish a son from a father of the same name.‘Alexandre Dumas fils’Compare with père
- ‘After his father's death in 1909, Gachet fils spent most of his life locked away in the Auvers house hoarding the past.’
- ‘Eliasson's father was an artist who created, in his son's words, ‘pictures on the wall’ in mixed mediums, for which Eliasson fils recently arranged an exhibition in Iceland.’
- ‘Forget Amis fils; this is a man conspicuously without the quality of modesty.’
- ‘Abraham was a senior officer during the dictatorships of both Duvalier fils and Prosper Avril, then himself briefly held the reins of power in the run-up to the 1991 elections.’
- ‘In between, they were owned by the Griffiths, Clark père and Calvin fils.’
- ‘Considering how often we are told that Avon père and fils are cold-blooded killers with steel traps for minds, they are both incredibly stupid.’
- ‘Hopefully Powell fils (I'm feeling French today) will learn to love being angry and speak up on behalf of his employers, the American people.’
- ‘In Selling Ben Cheever, Cheever fils relates what happened after his third novel was rejected by his publisher.’
- ‘Brueghel fils may never have reached the heights of his dad, but his Kermesse of St George (estimated at £2.5m- £3.5m) should still make a pleasing stocking-filler.’
- ‘But the role of the Establishment Candidate - occupied by Mondale, Bush père and fils, Gore, and Dole - is also not quite filled.’
- ‘Klein fils is a Brown graduate who worked as a newspaper reporter, at the Virginian-Pilot the Baltimore Sun, and The Wall Street Journal, before moving onto the Washington Post.’
- ‘There's precious little genetics in the creative impulse if the paucity of père and fils novelists is anything to go by - or maybe the fear of comparison keeps most chips off the old block blocked for good.’
- ‘Phillips points out the nexus between oil profits and tax shelters, on which the industry is heavily dependent for profits, and asserts that investment bankers kept bailing out Bush fils.’
- ‘Banner père, who seems to take his grooming tips from the Unabomber (this explains the famous Nolte mugshot: he was just getting in character!) visits Banner fils and reveals the truth about his past.’
- ‘That's when his father took over what was then a restaurant and converted it into a grocery store; as of the making of the film, Toupin fils had lived in that same building (in an apartment upstairs) for all of his 52 years.’
- ‘From the Alexandre Dumases, père and fils, to Kingsley and Martin Amis, father and son, the offspring of famous authors have followed in their parents' literary footsteps.’
- ‘Although the country rid itself of the brutal regimes of Duvalier père and fils in 1986, the legacy of oppression remains.’
- ‘Kahn fils structures the documentary as chapters of a book.’
- ‘Nearly two decades after the fall of Duvalier fils, Haiti's social and economic fabric lies in utter shambles.’
- ‘From about age 6 to 16, Chapman fils accompanied his father during many trips.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.