One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A young female horse, especially one less than four years old.
- ‘She was going to be the only filly running in it.’
- ‘Two fillies tied for session-topping female, each going for $26,000.’
- ‘Sabrina was riding her filly as she cooled her down.’
- ‘A young filly wants to be safe and she'll be more flighty and reactive.’
- ‘The horses include two colts and two fillies by Danehill.’
- ‘The allotment includes 12 fillies and eight colts, many with ties to American racing.’
- ‘To become a harem stallion, a male had to abduct fillies in heat one at a time from their father's herds.’
- ‘Four fillies and five colts all breezed one furlong in 10.20 seconds.’
- ‘A total of 150 horses are cataloged for the first session that includes horses in training and fillies in and out of training.’
- ‘We're got five two-year-old fillies in training with my brother, Elliott, and we've got four three- and four-year-old fillies also.’
- ‘I think next year she could be a top filly on the turf.’
- ‘The chestnut filly worked in company on Wednesday, pleasing Dunlop with her effort.’
- ‘She shares a paddock with a filly born a day earlier and is approximately the same size.’
- ‘Stoute added that he would probably keep the filly running over the same distance.’
- ‘The card is highlighted by a pair of stakes of $75,000 stakes for older fillies and mares and for older colts and geldings.’
- ‘She will face six other two-year-old fillies in the seven-furlong race.’
- ‘Summerfield consigned the well-balanced filly that was bred in Florida by Bobby Hurley.’
- ‘In the latest incident, the filly was one of four purchased last year and left in Ireland to be broken.’
- ‘Nearly all of the top runners sired by Kris were fillies and mares and Harrison said the late stallion's legacy would be left on the breed through his daughters.’
- ‘Horse Racing Ireland enhances stakes for fillies and mares’
- 1.1humorous A lively girl or young woman.
Late Middle English: from Old Norse fylja, of Germanic origin; related to foal.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.