One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A supplementary light used in photography or filming that does not change the character of the main light and is used chiefly to lighten shadows.
- ‘A bit more fill light might have calmed down the background more.’
- ‘If you have portable lights, you can dramatically improve your shots using the three-point lighting technique based around a key light, a fill light and a backlight.’
- ‘This is the fill light and helps soften the shadows.’
- ‘I prefer no reflectors and no fill lights, because there's less to remind her she's working in front of a machine.’
- ‘Shots of Nicole were backed with masses of flowers, the cutaways of O'Brien were dramatically lit with what appeared to be coloured gels on the fill light.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.