Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instance of making something completely full, especially the fuel tank of an automobile.‘free coffee with fill-up’
- ‘In reality, a 50-cents-a-gallon increase in gasoline prices means that a 12-gallon fill-up would cost an extra $6 per tank.’
- ‘The Honda Insight (a two-seater) and the Toyota Prius (four passengers) will get up to 70 miles per gallon and cruise 600 miles or more between fill-ups.’
- ‘They passed off Samantha like a baton, alternately sprinting through the relay of grocery shopping, dry cleaning drop-offs, and gas tank fill-ups.’
- ‘Apart from the obvious financial benefits of running a diesel-powered car, plus the convenience of longer ranges between fuel fill-ups, there is the massive mid-range pulling power.’
- ‘In parallel with this research, BMW has also developed a robot refuelling system which keeps the temperature below minus 250C, and means that a fill-up takes less than three minutes.’
- ‘No locking petrol cap to wrestle with, in fact, no petrol cap at all to touch, making fill-ups the cleanest ever.’
- ‘During our last fill-up, I couldn't help imagining how life would change if my household gasoline expenses suddenly went from about $110 a month to $140 a week.’
- ‘Around 30 mpg from all driving conditions is about the best you'll do in the 2.0, and with fuel tank size at just 50 litres, fill-ups are frequent.’
- ‘No, it's just this cheap phone I got free with a gas fill-up.’
- ‘If you don't want to spring for a fuel flow meter, you can calculate your fuel mileage by dividing distance traveled by gallons at fill-up.’
- ‘Last week I drove into the neighborhood gas station for my weekly fill-up and oil check.’
- ‘With the fuel tank holding 13.6 gallons, fill-ups become infrequent.’
- ‘This gives a range of less than 400 miles between fill-ups.’
- ‘One fill-up alone could save you more than your annual membership dues.’
- ‘Given a 70-litre tank, the car has a theoretical range of over 700 miles between fill-ups.’
- ‘Car rental agencies offer prepaid fill-ups when you return the vehicle.’
- ‘John Luber reached the breaking point when he took the family SUV for a fill-up recently and the pump didn't stop spinning until it hit $65.’
- ‘With a fill-up and wash, which is what I was getting, it's $2.61.’
- ‘Guy was a strong, healthy baby, with an appetite to match, waking regularly at four hourly intervals for a fill-up.’
- ‘Noise levels are low at all times, and the car makes short work of long journeys, with the 80 litre fuel tank giving at least 600 miles between fill-ups.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.