Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small tender piece of beef from the end of the tenderloin.
- ‘The filet mignon was equally satisfying (it's tender, too, and looks liked a well-charred softball), and so was the tougher, more flavorful sirloin.’
- ‘Schoolteachers at my buffet brawled for overpriced filet mignon that'd come from grass-fed Florida dairy cows.’
- ‘The filet mignon grabbed my attention right away.’
- ‘I also need filet mignon, cheeseburgers, every type of ice cream and sorbet, plus fresh fruit and snacks.’
- ‘I sat in my seat without much of an appetite and ate, after I was told to, filet mignon with some Caesar salad.’
- ‘That means grilled slices of filet mignon perched on a neat mass of grits, flavored with horseradish and bacon fat.’
- ‘So you're always eating filet mignon and caviar?’
- ‘I'd be more than happy to prepare filet mignon and French fries for him every night if only he would eat it.’
- ‘Desirable items such as lamb chops and filet mignon rotate through less often than they should, or may never materialize unless you ask.’
- ‘Also, have an occasional treat - subbing in, say, filet mignon for a flank steak.’
- ‘It includes sirloin, filet mignon, flavour-packed sausages, roast beef, pork and lamb.’
- ‘There's nothing quite like a nice, tender filet mignon over candlelight at a nice restaurant.’
- ‘It's a great place for people-watching and the food isn't bad either - try the lobster and crab cakes, filet mignon and spinach salad with bacon dressing.’
- ‘In between, there's a tough but tasty cut of hanger steak, an absurdly tender filet mignon, and a classic twelve-ounce New York strip.’
- ‘Sure, it won't be a big dinner of filet mignon and lobster.’
- ‘So why do people like filet mignon if you have to add fat to it in order to make it taste the way it does?’
- ‘Choice cuts of meat - filet mignon or chicken breast - are mostly lean muscle.’
- ‘Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of filet mignon.’
- ‘The result is an intense popcorn flavor, and here at Dry Creek it's used to dust and add flavor to filet mignon.’
- ‘Inside the ball we were served filet mignon and veal cutlets in the shape of the state of Texas.’
Mid 20th century: French, literally dainty fillet.
filet mignon/fiˌlā minˈyän/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.