Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The practice of or ability to transmit files from one computer to another over a network or the Internet.[often as modifier] ‘file-sharing software’
- ‘Freenet isn't just a file-sharing network designed to resist censorship of all kinds.’
- ‘The file-sharing networks have been drenched with copies.’
- ‘Japanese police have arrested two users of a supposedly anonymous file-sharing network.’
- ‘And - possibly the final proof - it hasn't appeared on any of the file-sharing networks.’
- ‘Creating file-sharing software is completely legal in Japan.’
- ‘But the pirated versions of the game which are on file-sharing and free software sites are older ones.’
- ‘Personally I've discovered countless bands through Internet and file-sharing.’
- ‘The number of music tracks available through file-sharing networks has fallen 27 per cent compared to the same period last year.’
- ‘This is the introducing of corrupt or bogus files into file-sharing services.’
- ‘The Supreme Court ruled unanimously today against Internet file-sharing services.’
- ‘When he was questioned, Spence told police that he had accessed the pictures and movies through file-sharing software and kept them on his hard drive.’
- ‘The user is then asked to remove the media from their computer, and to turn off their file-sharing software.’
- ‘The bill is the latest attempt by film and music trade associations to combat the hard-to-police use of file-sharing software.’
- ‘Would you stop using file-sharing networks to prevent your computer from becoming infected by a worm?’
- ‘More Americans have used file-sharing software than voted for the President.’
- ‘In general, the artists and musicians surveyed appear to have a balanced perspective on the subject of file-sharing and the internet.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the file-sharing software I use was unable to help me.’
- ‘They also analyzed the music collections of people who use Internet file-sharing services.’
- ‘Theft is theft, whether it be via a home burglary, corporate embezzlement scheme or a file-sharing network.’
- ‘The worm will also attempt to spread via file-sharing networks and infect other executable files.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.