One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Reach an understanding of a person's actions, motives, or personality.
find out, discover, come to know, get to know, work out, make out, fathom, fathom out, become aware of, learn, ferret out, dig out, dig up, establish, fix, determine, settle, decide, verify, make certain of, confirm, deduce, divine, intuit, diagnose, discern, perceive, see, realize, appreciate, identify, pin down, recognize, register, understand, grasp, take in, comprehendView synonyms
- ‘I've spent a lot of time over the past few months trying to figure you out.’
- ‘When she figures him out, she will understand herself.’
- ‘As for the other guy - you'll figure him out soon enough.’
- ‘Basically, they're trying to figure you out and see if you run like prey or stand your ground.’
- ‘It seems we need to figure someone out before we strike up a conversation.’
- ‘‘I really can't figure you out,’ I say to him on one of my rare visits back into that dark office.’
- ‘We told her that she might not want to talk to us because she might go crazy trying to figure us out.’
- ‘But, if you think I am for such an agreement, you haven't figured me out yet.’
- ‘But if someone's trying to figure you out, that is hard.’
- ‘I imagine that strangers have even a harder time figuring him out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.