One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An aircraft serving as both a fighter and bomber.
- ‘This left communications between air-support parties on the beaches and fighter-bombers on the flight line broken for crucial hours while invaders struggled ashore.’
- ‘Gen George S. Patton and his Third Army relied heavily on GAS sorties from the fighter-bombers of the Ninth Air Force to punch their way across France.’
- ‘The US relies heavily - in the first-strike arena - on ship-launched ballistic missiles, and aircraft-carrier-launched air-superiority fighters and fighter-bombers.’
- ‘They comprised 220 combat aircraft, including 80 fighter-bombers and 120 fighters, more than 100 SAM missile systems and 700 antiaircraft artillery guns.’
- ‘Flak commanders took advantage of the fact that Allied fighter-bombers pounced on everything that moved on the Norman roads by creating ingenious ‘low-flying-aircraft booby traps.’’
- ‘During the Korean War, Johnson flew fighter-bombers while attached to the US Air Force.’
- ‘This was a manifestation of the allied policy of interdiction in which both heavy bombers of the USAF and the bomb- and rocket-armed carrier fighter-bombers attempted to halt enemy troop and supply movement.’
- ‘Together with dogged determination from the soldiers, Allied fighter-bombers succeeded in safeguarding Patton's communications.’
- ‘Or they were designed as fighter-bombers (more accurately called bomber-fighters) whose primary capability was delivering nuclear ordnance.’
- ‘The use of bombers and fighter-bombers at the frontline helped to ease the path of inexperienced armies that threatened to get bogged down in Normandy and Italy.’
- ‘He discovered his two best school friends were both engaged in the battle, one flying Mosquito fighter-bombers, the other a tank commander.’
- ‘Our presence, our use of tanks, Bradleys, gunships and fighter-bombers, causing inevitable civilian casualties, is recruiting more enemy than we are killing.’
- ‘The AMX fighter-bomber aircraft is in service with the air forces of Brazil, Italy and Venezuela.’
- ‘The assault force consists of some 4,000 ships and landing craft carrying 176,000 troops and their material, escorted by 600 warships, with 2,500 bombers and 7,000 fighters and fighter-bombers overhead.’
- ‘It was reasoned that this would eliminate lengthy carrier qualification trials as well as providing the Marines with a hard-hitting fighter-bomber that would be well suited to their operational doctrine.’
- ‘We see the low-flying fighter-bombers of the RAF, and in their shadow the advancing infantry.’
- ‘It includes squadrons of tanks, Stryker armoured fighting vehicles, infantry and ground artillery, backed by helicopter gunships and fighter-bombers.’
- ‘The majority of combat aircraft worldwide consists of short-range fighter-bombers.’
- ‘A case in point was his abortive effort to cut aircraft procurement costs by developing a single fighter-bomber, the TFX, for both the air force and the navy.’
- ‘In spite of the numbers, the reality was that only around 115 of those planes (72 fighters, 37 fighter-bombers and six bombers) could be considered modern.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.