Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An extra wheel for a four-wheeled vehicle.
- ‘Mann adds that a sliding fifth wheel helps drivers get into tight places.’
- ‘And while you're driving, why don't you give a thought and a thanks to those nameless engineers and designers who have devoted so much attention to this most important fifth wheel.’
- 1.1informal A superfluous person or thing.
- ‘I could have gone by myself, but it wouldn't have been a smart thing to do because two couples and the fifth wheel usually don't work out too well to begin with.’
- ‘Don't they become fifth wheels, spinning pointlessly in relation to the processes responsible for human action?’
- ‘I was always the third wheel - or rather, fifth wheel.’
- ‘Armed with a meat and cheese tray and some chips and dip, she was determined to make it through the day, however, even if it meant being a fifth wheel and having to see Nolan and Kari together.’
- ‘I felt like a fifth wheel and I hated it, but I didn't say anything.’
- ‘Though they tried to include me in their activities I generally declined their invitations not wanting to be a third wheel or a fifth wheel or a seventh wheel.’
- ‘As a bloke in the delivery suite, you always feel like a fifth wheel anyway.’
- ‘In 1959, when he died, Bloch's work was pretty much a fifth wheel in the wider classical-music world.’
- ‘It was nice to feel like we were a part of the program instead of a fifth wheel and a pain in the neck.’
- ‘Whenever I go out with my friends, I feel like the fifth wheel.’
- ‘Judge George Hatch always felt like a fifth wheel when he was invited to join his four friends.’
- ‘Months of double dates with me as the fifth wheel flashed before my eyes.’
- ‘Oh come on, we still need to find out who the fifth wheel is.’
- ‘I remembered The Duo hardly ever had double dates together, since Devon and Jemma thought I would feel left out if I was not invited, and I would be the fifth wheel if I joined.’
- ‘I was now the fifth wheel, and I hated being the fifth wheel.’
- ‘I grew tired of being the fifth wheel so I got up and went into my room to study.’
- ‘Chris had remarried, and Gill felt like a fifth wheel while living with him, his new wife, and his two stepchildren.’
- ‘Socially, I don't think it's impacted me - my friends are good about not making me the fifth wheel, it's not keeping me from jobs or anything.’
- ‘Josh, his date, Jessica, Mary and Jason all went as a group of friends, but the whole night Jessica felt like the fifth wheel.’
- ‘We were at the mall and I was trailing behind the two couples going in and out of the conversation and feeling very much like a fifth wheel.’
2A coupling between a trailer and a vehicle used for towing.
- ‘We are now equipped with a new truck and fifth wheel and ready to follow the sun once more.’
- 2.1also fifth-wheel trailer A trailer with accommodations for camping out.
- ‘When Ruth and I hit the road from 1992 to 1994 in our 3/4 ton Chevy truck and our fifth wheel trailer, with the blessings of the Steering Committee we became roving ambassadors for OLOC.’
- ‘Hitch-mounted trailers and even gooseneck and fifth-wheel trailers follow the vehicle path much more closely than with conventional two-wheel steering.’
- ‘But we also have what we call towable products, travel trailers, fifth-wheel trailers.’
- ‘We'd buy a large pickup truck and a fifth-wheel trailer and would travel the United States indefinitely - a retirement many couples enjoy immensely.’
- ‘We lived in a 26 foot, fifth wheel, RV trailer when Henry died.’
- ‘On the other hand, my parents own a fifth-wheel trailer.’
- ‘Then I camped with a tent and a sleeping bag, now we stay in a 28 ft. fifth wheel trailer which also has a slide out dining room.’
- ‘Thompson, 40, got off to a late start this season after the purchase of a new truck and fifth wheel trailer, but he has since been racing at Division 5 events.’
- ‘Kaliska headed back out to the trailer area where multiple trailers and fifth wheels and tents were set up.’
- ‘In February 2003, my wife and I began our year as usual by hooking up our fifth-wheel trailer and travelling south for some winter sun.’
- ‘He also has a 1971 Fury, a dragster frame and a fifth wheel trailer.’
- ‘Bryan's father, my mom's brother and his wife had left the week before Christmas to drive to Florida in their fifth wheel and new trailer.’
- ‘For instance, the F - 350 is once again the class leader with a new tow limit of up to 17,000 lb for a fifth wheel trailer and 15,000 lb for a conventional one.’
- ‘King of the Road has a web site that shows LTM's patio deck which slides under the fifth wheel trailer when not in use, and slides out when you need a place to sit that's up and out of the mud and dirt.’
- 2.2historical A horizontal turntable over the front axle of a carriage as an extra support to prevent it tipping.
fifth wheel/ˌfi(f)TH ˈ(h)wēl/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.