Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A play in which the fielding team's decision to put out another player allows the batter to reach first base safely.
- ‘Baker bounced into a force play allowing the Dodgers to score a run on a fielder's choice.’
- ‘On the following day, he again smacked three singles, reached on a fielder's choice, and struck out.’
- ‘Wiebe reached base on a fielder's choice, then scored the deciding run on an RBI double by Jeff Thomson.’
- ‘In an intrasquad game the day before the exhibition opener, Murray reached first on a fielder's choice.’
- ‘Not only did Crawford leg out a fielder's choice to allow Chris Singleton to score, but the pressure he put on Orlando Hudson caused a throwing error.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.