One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player who occupies a defensive position in the field while the other side is batting (typically one other than the pitcher or catcher, or bowler).
- ‘Both are predominantly top order batsmen, but they are both off-spin bowlers and exceptional fielders as well.’
- ‘Like Greg, he was a right-handed batsman, a superb slip fielder and occasional leg-spin bowler.’
- ‘He's been a superb fielder and a more than useful offspin bowler.’
- ‘Not only was he a commanding batsman, but was an outstanding fielder.’
- ‘The umpires make the determination as to whether or not a fielder intentionally drops a fly ball.’
- ‘The fielder on the mid-wicket boundary did not have time to move.’
- ‘Ground balls keep the fielders ready and make the games go faster.’
- ‘Thinking themselves unbeatable, the Australians claim they fear no batsman, bowler nor fielder.’
- ‘Unlike at Lord's, this time the England close fielders remembered to ask the batsman if he was all right.’
- ‘I would restore the old baseball custom of allowing fielders to leave their gloves on the field between innings.’
- ‘Umpires must keep their eyes on fielders who intentionally drop line drives to create double plays.’
- ‘Even then the gloom was such that the scoreboard shone like Piccadilly Circus on a wet night while both batsmen and fielders needed radar to sight the ball.’
- ‘Batsmen attack, fielders dive and slide, bowlers use reverse swing and mystery balls.’
- ‘Right fielder Melvin Mora and second baseman Jose Morban both thought the other one would catch it.’
- ‘I was wondering about fielders leaving their gloves on the field while their team was batting.’
- ‘The bowlers and fielders were quick to remind the other batsmen of their incompetence to bat at this level.’
- ‘While India has the stronger batting line-up, Pakistan has good bowlers and fielders.’
- ‘However, every captain is first a player - be it a batsman, bowler, or a fielder.’
- ‘Murali was laughing, the close fielders and the wicketkeeper were laughing too.’
- ‘He was an excellent fielder, particularly in the covers, and a decent bowler of leg breaks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.