One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player who occupies a defensive position in the field while the other side is batting (typically one other than the pitcher or catcher, or bowler).
- ‘Murali was laughing, the close fielders and the wicketkeeper were laughing too.’
- ‘Even then the gloom was such that the scoreboard shone like Piccadilly Circus on a wet night while both batsmen and fielders needed radar to sight the ball.’
- ‘The umpires make the determination as to whether or not a fielder intentionally drops a fly ball.’
- ‘While India has the stronger batting line-up, Pakistan has good bowlers and fielders.’
- ‘The fielder on the mid-wicket boundary did not have time to move.’
- ‘He was an excellent fielder, particularly in the covers, and a decent bowler of leg breaks.’
- ‘He's been a superb fielder and a more than useful offspin bowler.’
- ‘The bowlers and fielders were quick to remind the other batsmen of their incompetence to bat at this level.’
- ‘Like Greg, he was a right-handed batsman, a superb slip fielder and occasional leg-spin bowler.’
- ‘Batsmen attack, fielders dive and slide, bowlers use reverse swing and mystery balls.’
- ‘Thinking themselves unbeatable, the Australians claim they fear no batsman, bowler nor fielder.’
- ‘Not only was he a commanding batsman, but was an outstanding fielder.’
- ‘Both are predominantly top order batsmen, but they are both off-spin bowlers and exceptional fielders as well.’
- ‘However, every captain is first a player - be it a batsman, bowler, or a fielder.’
- ‘I would restore the old baseball custom of allowing fielders to leave their gloves on the field between innings.’
- ‘Unlike at Lord's, this time the England close fielders remembered to ask the batsman if he was all right.’
- ‘Ground balls keep the fielders ready and make the games go faster.’
- ‘Umpires must keep their eyes on fielders who intentionally drop line drives to create double plays.’
- ‘Right fielder Melvin Mora and second baseman Jose Morban both thought the other one would catch it.’
- ‘I was wondering about fielders leaving their gloves on the field while their team was batting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.