One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An edible mushroom with a whitish cap and gills that turn dark gray, growing in open grassland in north temperate regions.
- ‘Nor is the name agaric restricted, as would have been convenient, to the ‘true’ mushrooms, of the genus Agaricus, such as the common field mushroom, the cultivated mushroom, and their numerous close relations.’
- ‘I had the confit of pork with black pudding, truffle mashed potatoes and grilled field mushrooms and a portion of spinach for €19.75.’
- ‘And after a bracing swim we would gather bags of field mushrooms around the little watch-tower at the top of the hill.’
- ‘She spent hours looking through books trying to determine what the fungi were and has come to the conclusion they are giant puffballs, but she had thought they were huge field mushrooms.’
- ‘The risotto had the perfect balance between the liquid and the solid, was made with top grade stock and was packed with squidgy chunks of field mushrooms.’
- ‘Scotland produces all sorts of edible wild mushrooms - parasols, horse mushrooms, field mushrooms and wood blewits to name but a few - but you must be sure of what they are before eating them or you could end up in hospital or worse.’
- ‘The new cafe in Habitat opens at 10 am for breakfast, which includes scrambled eggs with grilled field mushrooms, poached eggs on toast and fresh fruit salad.’
- ‘Or, best of all, gather wild field mushrooms, which are a different species than cultivated mushrooms and have a gorgeous deep flavour.’
- ‘One of the most common edible wild mushrooms is the field mushroom, or pinky, so-called because of its pink gills.’
- ‘I'd be willing to pay twice that just to enjoy some amazing field mushrooms and the ambience alone.’
- ‘Two well-flavoured pork escalopes were breaded and fried, and served with a field mushroom and proper mash.’
- ‘Madame X had the medallions of beef fillet with field mushrooms, celeriac gratin, watercress purée and cep jus for €23.50.’
- ‘On the top of the pile was a large mushroom which weighed in at 830 grams - the largest field mushroom the fruit and vegetable shop owner has seen in 30 years in the trade.’
- ‘Later in the summer, the hillside was speckled in white with the finest and most flavoursome field mushrooms in the county.’
- ‘How about this for a starter: a field mushroom with slices of black pudding on top in a tomato and onion sauce with a poached egg over the lot?’
- ‘The service and the food were both excellent, kicking off with an amuse-bouche of truffled field mushroom soup (obviously popular in Brighton) and pressed pork with capers and parsley and a hint of balsamic sweetness.’
- ‘The chargrilled fillet steak with creamed potatoes and roasted field mushrooms was ordered medium rare and arrived medium.’
- ‘I had pan-fried chicken breast with field mushrooms, sautéed red onions and whole grain mustard sauce.’
- ‘Edible varieties such as penny buns, chanterelles and field mushrooms - along with dozens of others - can be foraged from Britain's forests and fields.’
- ‘I went for pan-fried chicken livers with dressed salad and Catherine chose baked field mushrooms with pate in a kind of port wine sauce.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.