One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An officer of the highest rank in the British and other armies.
- ‘The Russian tsarist army had field marshals including Suvorov, but the rank, like all the old military ranks, was abolished in 1917.’
- ‘Dressed as a field marshal, the rank to which Catherine II had promoted him in 1773, he wears the Star of the Order of Saint Andrew.’
- ‘The apex of Alexander's military career was the capture of Rome on 4 June 1944, for which he received his field marshal's baton.’
- ‘Neither field marshal nor platoon leader should be point man.’
- ‘Within a few years, however, he regained his stature, eventually becoming a field marshal and commander in chief of the British army.’
- ‘Dr. Mott should know that this would be a promotion for the journalist, something like from a sergeant to a field marshal!’
- ‘The former field marshal, once the highest-ranking officer in the Confederate High Command, had retired from the service when he was named interim Chancellor.’
- ‘Two German field marshals, Erwin Rommel and Gerd yon Rundstedt, command Blumenson's respect.’
- ‘In 1941 Smuts was made an honorary field marshal in the British Army, but asked that he still be known by his old rank of general.’
- ‘Over the years, field marshals, generals, prime ministers and archbishops have been made honorary freemen of the city, although Winston Churchill did not take up the offer.’
- ‘At the age of 31 a field marshal in the Chinese army while still a major in the British one, he went on to become the Governor General of the Sudan, where he was eventually killed.’
- ‘Even at a distance, the field marshal of Ple'ebus's army could be heard barking out orders at those in his command.’
- ‘He is appealing to Blair to give the Commons a vote on going to war, and points to strong opposition across the spectrum of British life, from field marshals to church leaders.’
- ‘He said there were field marshals and generals at the top, who organised and funded the importations of large quantities of cigarettes and truck drivers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.