One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A book for the identification of birds, flowers, minerals, or other things in their natural environment.
- ‘Wildlife officials identified the rare species of the turtle, Batagur baska, from photographs in an old field guide.’
- ‘Avoiding the dry descriptions typical of field guides, this book focuses instead on the history, folklore and practical uses of each species.’
- ‘Kenn Kaufman is the author of eight books on nature, including Kingbird Highway and field guides to North American birds, butterflies and mammals.’
- ‘A field guide to the birds of any geographic region shows quite clearly that ornaments of such colors are widespread.’
- ‘The following field guides may help with identification.’
- ‘I wandered through the airport shops and looked at several field guides to New Zealand birds.’
- ‘Field observations were verified using a field guide of animal tracks.’
- ‘Most people identify plants and animals using a field guide, but anyone who has used one knows its limitations for identification and other information.’
- ‘So, with this brief primer in hand and some study of birds in your field guide, you'll be ready to take on all comers for these February feeder counts.’
- ‘Written by a city boy from the Bronx who now lives in Chicago, this book is the ideal field guide to city trees for urban folks.’
- ‘Others are mainly local, state, and regional bird-finding guides, going back to O. S. Pettingill's pioneering eastern and western guides, and the various identification field guides.’
- ‘For this hike, you will need field guides and animal track guides, magnifying glasses and binoculars, and pencil and paper.’
- ‘The Petersen's field guides to the birds of North America are classics.’
- ‘Between 1894 and 1931, she authored twenty-seven books including field guides, natural history books, nature stories for children, and novels.’
- ‘In my discussion of exceptional online bird field guides last week, I focused on the sites I turn to when I'm looking for information about a specific species.’
- ‘He is currently working on a history of field guides to birds and the development of birdwatching (now birding) in the United States.’
- ‘Though I have been a voracious, omnivorous reader all my life, I haven't been interested in books other than field guides lately.’
- ‘So, everyone, get out your field guides and study your birds!’
- ‘Don's death at age 79 marks an end to the first generation of American illustrators of bird field guides.’
- ‘The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Weather by David M. Ludlum can be used to identify clouds and other sky phenomena in much the way a field guide to birds is used.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.