One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The emission of electrons from the surface of a conductor under the influence of a strong electrostatic field, as a result of the tunnel effect.
- ‘Additionally, unlike many nanoscale experiments in field emission, the device does not need to be cryogenically cooled.’
- ‘Industrial and university researchers around the world are now developing new devices using the nanotubes, such as field emission flat panel displays, high-strength composites and high energy-density batteries.’
- ‘Just when you thought field emission displays were dead as disco, they come dancing back on stage on the small, spindly legs of carbon nanotubes.’
- ‘The field emission microscope provided unparalleled images of atomic structure.’
- ‘The cold field emission microscope is connected to an x-ray analyzer that determines the chemical and physical structures of the plants, pests, biocontrol organisms, and pesticides.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.