One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Corn grown to feed livestock.
- ‘The corn earworm is a common pest of many U.S. crops, including cotton, tobacco, tomatoes, soybeans, and sweet corn, field corn and popcorn.’
- ‘There are fields of corn - they must be field corn - starting to turn.’
- ‘And he adopts university-based scouting and Integrated Pest Management recommendations for controlling pests in snap beans and field corn.’
- ‘A bushel of field corn will yield, among other things, 31.5 lb. of starch, which can be converted to among other things, 2.7 gallons of fuel ethanol.’
- ‘It is labeled against a variety of insects on field corn, seed corn, popcorn, sorghum, soybeans, alfalfa and wheat.’
- ‘Like many of their neighbors, they mostly grew field corn, raised a few cows and bred a few horses.’
- ‘A new potential threat is the proliferation of field corn engineered with genes of Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt).’
- ‘An example is fried corn, a food that humans consume even though it is raised for animal feed (e.g. field corn as opposed to sweet corn).’
- ‘Irrigated field corn is in the 5-6 leaf stage with few problems.’
- ‘With contamination of field corn and soybeans suspected, large quantities of those crops had to be burned, and the USDA began to develop new rules.’
- ‘Much to my chagrin, it turned out to be tough field corn that Zambians eat as a fresh vegetable, but more commonly grind into meal or flour for cooking.’
- ‘Popcorn fields often attract more egg-laying European corn borer moths than surrounding field corn does, and the high value of seed corn means that their European corn borer economic thresholds are low.’
- ‘In 2000-2001 there were two tests - one in Furnas County and one in Perkins County - where winter wheat was seeded no-till after field corn.’
- ‘It was a just little more tender, and a little bit sweeter than ordinary field corn.’
- ‘Using a commercially available antibody-based detection kit, it was confirmed in seed production fields, germplasm improvement plots, and in commercial field corn.’
- ‘Commodity crops like field corn and soybean are dominated by a handful of biotech corporations, and vegetables have also undergone much consolidation.’
- ‘This is more often true in seed production fields than in field corn.’
- ‘There are a couple of fields of corn with color now around the ears, which says this is field corn.’
- ‘Seed corn harvest was beginning and field corn harvest is anticipated to begin by mid September.’
- ‘Nebraska ranked third in the nation in the production of field corn with 1,319,700,000 bushels in 2004, according to the USDA Agricultural Statistics Service Web site.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.