One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The thickening and scarring of connective tissue, usually as a result of injury.
- ‘If infection and inflammation continue, fibrosis, or tissue scarring, occurs.’
- ‘Asbestosis is the interstitial pneumonitis and fibrosis caused by inhalation of asbestos fibers.’
- ‘Most patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease do not progress to advanced fibrosis and cirrhosis.’
- ‘The nonneoplastic liver showed mild fibrosis without signs of cirrhosis or hepatitis.’
- ‘Fine crackles are heard with pulmonary edema, pneumonia and pulmonary fibrosis.’
Late 19th century: from Latin fibra (see fiber) + -osis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.