One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A benign fibrous tumor of connective tissue.
- ‘Sebaceous cysts, fibromas, papillomas, adenomas, sarcomas, carcinomas, and melanomas also have been reported.’
- ‘Desmoplastic fibroma is generally classified as a benign tumor and has not been shown to metastasize.’
- ‘Characteristic dermal fibromas and dermal or subcutaneous neurofibromas generally appear in late childhood or adolescence.’
- ‘In about 1 percent of affected people, one or more fibromas become malignant and require treatment (surgery, chemotherapy and/or radiation).’
- ‘Lipomas, hemangiomas, neuromas, and fibromas are benign neoplasms that occur in the neck.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin fibra (see fiber) + -oma.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.