Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A reinforced plastic material composed of glass fibers embedded in a resin matrix.
- ‘If the gap in the duct connection is larger than 1/4 inch use fiberglass reinforcing membrane in addition to mastic.’
- ‘Kaolin today is used in making paper, plastics, rubber, paints, fibreglass, ceramics, some foods, sunscreen lotion, and many other products.’
- ‘When the molds dried, they were cut off the model and filled with flesh-colored polyester resin reinforced with fiberglass.’
- ‘Originally made of steamed canvas and glue, hard hats also appeared in aluminum and fiberglass before plastic prevailed.’
- ‘Straw, cattails and wool are used in earth plasters; fiberglass is added to cement stucco.’
- ‘Typically an acrylic tub is crafted from a mixture of high-grade sanitary acrylics, ceramic powders, polyester resins, and fiberglass.’
- ‘The place where a right-angled piece of metal landed became the corner of the picture, which was created using fibreglass resin, paint and natural materials from the site itself.’
- ‘Window frames are available in a variety of materials including aluminum, wood, vinyl, and fiberglass.’
- ‘Our antifouling paint sales are up, or fiberglass composites and resins are up, and our primers and other related products are up.’
- ‘Others, such as asphalt / fiberglass composites, lightweight concrete, and coated-metal tile, are products of the technological revolution.’
- ‘It can also be used on plastics and fiberglass and for polishing stainless steel, high carbon steel, or bronze.’
- ‘What won't be exposed aluminum will be covered with a material called AZDEL, a black plastic composite made of fiberglass and plastic formed into thin sheets, like a vinyl wrap.’
- ‘We can work on various surfaces such as cast iron, plastic, fibreglass and of course ceramic.’
- ‘The hull is constructed of a solid laminate of fiberglass and resin with no core materials.’
- ‘Known for their innovative designs and pioneering technology, they were the first to use pressed steel, welded wire, fibreglass reinforced plastics and moulded plywood in furniture design and manufacture.’
- ‘Another approach is to use a manufactured shell - typically of molded acrylic reinforced with fiberglass.’
- ‘Well firstly the rugged fibreglass reinforced ABS plastic and polycarbonate case has been surrounded by a rubber over moulding, which provides a secure, ergonomic grip.’
- ‘The receiver is molded from a steel reinforced fiberglass and polymer matrix.’
- ‘Razor blades can be used but care must be taken to not scratch the surface, especially with fiberglass and plastic surfaces.’
- ‘The cost of one of these Sea Cat fibreglass reinforced plastic boats with a 25 hp outboard engine is 3,000 euros.’
2A textile fabric made from woven glass filaments.
- ‘The hull, decks and superstructure of these models are constructed of fiberglass composites using chopped strand and woven fiberglass fabrics.’
- ‘As mentioned earlier, synthetic materials have greatly contributed to reducing the weight of saddles, in particular fiberglass, or carbon fiber trees.’
- ‘The hull is constructed with a minimum of seven layers of hand-laid fiberglass cloth.’
- ‘Focusing on the jacket, the pieces show the evolution of tailoring from its hand-sewn roots in chalked pinstripes to a Space Age fibreglass jacket worn with aluminium shoes and face mask.’
- ‘It is a tightly woven, black, fiberglass mesh that is purchased locally from a provider in Yuma.’
- ‘A good quality kite made from treated ripstop spinnaker cloth and fibreglass spars starts at about $10.’
- ‘The hulls and decks are built with hand-laid layers of fiberglass cloth for a uniform structure with high strength and durability.’
- ‘The Coast Guard rejected as ‘not good practice’ Mako's initial proposal to laminate fiberglass cloth over existing gel coat.’
- ‘Unlike surfboards, snowboards are usually laminated using fiberglass cloth that has been preimpregnated with epoxy and allowed to cure.’
- ‘The unusual roof, which is made of a translucent fiberglass fabric, allows for natural grass, which players appreciate.’
- ‘In an effort to keep pests off the parsnips we began cloaking the beds with Agrofabric, a translucent, permeable rowcover made of woven fiberglass.’
- ‘They offer a range of professional services, including acrylic, fibreglass, silk and gel nail-extensions, natural nail wraps, manicures, pedicures and nail art.’
- ‘Fiberglass felts, or a combination of fiberglass and polyester, can also be used.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.