Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for female genital mutilation
- ‘It is estimated that 140 million women worldwide are subjected to the practice, also known as FGM, according to the World Health Organization.’
- ‘Their and our ultimate goal is to help bring about an end to FGM.’
- ‘"It is important that healthcare workers are aware of FGM and with an expansion of the migrant population they may see increasing numbers of women affected."’
- ‘The laws which made FGM illegal were introduced in France and England at about the same time, in the mid-1980s.’
- ‘The country banned FGM in 1999, though just making it illegal is never enough.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.