Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Destruction or abortion of a fetus.
termination, miscarriageView synonyms
- ‘Son preference, sex selection, female foeticide, whatever we want to call it, is a damning indictment of India in the 21st Century.’
- ‘The ethical debate that underlies the legal and medical practice of female foeticide as practised in clinics is mockingly addressed in the family planning initiatives that have ironically triggered it.’
- ‘The deep-seated bias in India against the girl child with the availability of the most modern scientific technique to determine the sex of the foetus has resulted in large-scale female foeticide.’
- ‘Support the Indian Medical Association in condemning the practice of female feticide and circulate national medical associations with a statement on the issue.’
- ‘In places where female infanticide was a customary practice, female foeticide has come in as a deadly substitute that is more convenient, less traumatic and equally effective.’
- ‘First, laws treating feticide as murder do not need to define fetuses as persons.’
- ‘In June, at a workshop on female foeticide in Bangalore, I learned first-hand of certain techniques of contemporary journalism.’
- ‘In Gujarat, too, all kinds of violence, including foeticide, has increased.’
- ‘But he made no promise to do something special to root out the practice of female foeticide.’
- ‘Even before birth, the body may be killed through induced abortion and other types of feticide, such as stabbing the fetus in the womb.’
- ‘Experts think that the most important of these is female infanticide and foeticide which are practiced in our country.’
- ‘Female foeticide is for those who can afford a clandestine ultrasound scan and illegal abortion.’
- ‘In India too, with the strong son preference, female foeticide is on the increase.’
- ‘A few prominent Jewish ethicists and halakhic experts dissent, seeing embryo destruction as potentially a prohibited form of feticide.’
- ‘This has prompted voluntary agencies like the Kottayam-based Kerala Voluntary Health Services to promote a campaign against female foeticide.’
- ‘The sudden fall in the number of girls in the youngest age group is believed to be proof of the increased incidence of sex selective abortions - or female foeticide.’
- ‘Female foeticide is one of the primary causes of the decline in child sex ratio.’
- ‘With recent census figures showing an increase in the number of girls being sacrificed for the sake of a son, the problem of female foeticide is one that continues to haunt Indian society.’
- ‘Female foeticide and infanticide have become major areas of concern.’
- ‘To make readers aware of the consequences of female foeticide, we fast forwarded to 2020.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.