One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A congenital syndrome caused by excessive consumption of alcohol by the mother during pregnancy, characterized by retardation of mental development and of physical growth, particularly of the skull and face of the infant.
- ‘Pregnant adolescents and adult women who drink, of course, place their infants at risk of fetal alcohol syndrome, and there's no patient population who can be considered free of risk for alcohol-related problems.’
- ‘This puts your baby at risk of a serious condition called fetal alcohol syndrome, which is a group of birth defects.’
- ‘Also avoid alcohol during pregnancy because babies with fetal alcohol syndrome often have congenital heart defects.’
- ‘Drinking alcohol in pregnancy also can increase the risk of heart defects - babies with fetal alcohol syndrome often have them.’
- ‘The leading preventable cause of mental retardation in the United States, fetal alcohol syndrome affects about 1 in 1,000 U.S. infants and about 6 percent of children born to alcoholic women.’
- ‘Excessive alcohol use during pregnancy can cause fetal alcohol syndrome, a constellation of growth retardation, facial deformities, and central nervous system dysfunction.’
- ‘Chronic alcoholic mothers, for instance, have a 45% chance of having an infant with fetal alcohol syndrome.’
- ‘Furthermore, with such excessive consumption, fetal alcohol syndrome should be in evidence.’
- ‘The diagnosis of fetal alcohol syndrome is partly based on craniofacial features which include microcephaly, telecanthus, narrow palpebral fissures, thin lips and a flat philtrum, with or without cleft lip or palate.’
- ‘In the most severe cases, children exposed to alcohol prenatally have a pattern of birth defects identified as fetal alcohol syndrome.’
- ‘Autism has been reported in children with fetal alcohol syndrome, in children who were infected with rubella during pregnancy, and in children whose mothers took a variety of medications that are known to damage the fetus.’
- ‘Alcohol abuse by the mother causes fetal alcohol syndrome, and certain medications taken by the mother can cause birth defects.’
- ‘Indian people have the highest rate of incarceration and the highest rates of fetal alcohol syndrome, diabetes, and cancer.’
- ‘Moreover, alcohol consumption by pregnant women can result in fetal alcohol effects and fetal alcohol syndrome.’
- ‘Teachers identified a total of 30 children as having various disabilities such as speech and language problems, fetal alcohol syndrome, developmental delays, Down syndrome, and Russell Silvers syndrome.’
- ‘Folds also occur in certain congenital conditions, including fetal alcohol syndrome.’
- ‘Alcohol use adversely affects neuron migration during gestation and can produce a syndrome known as fetal alcohol syndrome, which is related to criminal behavior.’
- ‘If you have adopted your child, there are signs you can recognize that may indicate fetal alcohol syndrome.’
- ‘Adverse effects for children of women who use alcohol and tobacco include fetal alcohol syndrome, birth defects, growth deficits, developmental disabilities, and learning disorders.’
- ‘Possible contributing factors in the development of autism include infections, errors in metabolism, immunology, lead poisoning, and fetal alcohol syndrome.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.