Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Containing iron oxides or rust.‘a band of ferruginous limestone’
- ‘In the case of more intense Fe impregnation, scattered quartz clasts supported by a ferruginous matrix may be the only remains of former sandstone.’
- ‘An upwards change in palaeosol type from gley to ferruginous within the Ketch Member has been cited as evidence for improving drainage through Late Westphalian time as a result of tectonic uplift.’
- ‘The rock is cemented by a mixture of quartz overgrowths, K-rich feldspar, and an oxidized ferruginous clay now dominated by chlorite.’
- ‘The lenses are separated by locally discordant horizons of ferruginous, silicic or graphitic, strongly schistose sedimentary to volcanic rocks.’
- ‘Tectonic ironstone encompasses siliceous and ferruginous rock types that are characterized by the presence of chert or cherty quartzite, iron sulphides and their alteration products.’
- 1.1Reddish brown; rust-colored.‘the ferruginous earth of southern Brazil’
- ‘The beige-to-ochre tropical ferruginous soil displays in its first horizons a sandy texture at slope bottom, and is sandy-clayey on the remainder.’
- ‘A mixture of bruised arum leaves and stalks with a quantity of dark, ferruginous earth and water was put into the gourd.’
- ‘The latter, a series of ferruginous shelly sands, are the only preserved in situ product of the late Miocene-early Pliocene marine transgression.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin ferrugo, ferrugin- rust, dark red (from ferrum iron) + -ous.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.