An alloy of iron and silicon used in the production of steel and some types of iron.
- ‘The majority of such iron is made by treatment with ferrosilicon containing 5 or 10% magnesium.’
- ‘In the second process, the ore is converted to magnesium oxide, which is then treated with the alloy ferrosilicon.’
- ‘One of the most common silicon-iron alloys, for example, is ferrosilicon.’
- ‘Late additions of ferrosilicon have been reported to increase toughness.’
- ‘The fishing industry is of vital importance to the economy, accounting for three-quarters of exports; other exports are aluminium (produced from imported alumina) and ferrosilicon.’