Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An alloy of iron and silicon used in the production of steel and some types of iron.
- ‘The majority of such iron is made by treatment with ferrosilicon containing 5 or 10% magnesium.’
- ‘In the second process, the ore is converted to magnesium oxide, which is then treated with the alloy ferrosilicon.’
- ‘One of the most common silicon-iron alloys, for example, is ferrosilicon.’
- ‘Late additions of ferrosilicon have been reported to increase toughness.’
- ‘The fishing industry is of vital importance to the economy, accounting for three-quarters of exports; other exports are aluminium (produced from imported alumina) and ferrosilicon.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.