Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A ceramic compound consisting of a mixed oxide of iron and one or more other metals. Ferrite has ferrimagnetic properties and is used in high-frequency electrical components such as antennas.
- ‘Neodymium magnets have dropped the weight by half of conventional ferrite car speakers and in the aftermarket have gained acceptance.’
- ‘Product groups include passive and electromechanical components, capacitors, resistive products, ferrites, fuses, inductors and filters.’
- ‘Some of the physical incidents in haunts, including interference with electrical equipment and movement of objects with ferrite components, may also be due to anomalous electromagnetic conditions.’
- ‘The remainder enters into solid solution in the ferrite with the non-carbide forming elements nickel and silicon.’
- ‘He said that in this approach the core can be a highly magnetic material like iron or iron alloys, while the shell can be a mixed metal ferrite with tailored resistivity.’
A form of pure iron with a body-centered cubic crystal structure, occurring in low-carbon steel.
- ‘The solubility of both C and N in austenite should be greater than in ferrite, because of the larger interstices available.’
- ‘The refinement of the grain size of ferrite provides one of the most important strengthening routes in the heal treatment of steels.’
- ‘They exhibit an austenitic matrix, although several grades also contain some ferrite.’
- ‘The microstructure is thus converted to ferrite, and the excess carbon is deposited on the existing nodules.’
- ‘Trip steels have a microstructure with retained austenite, ferrite and martensite.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin ferrum ‘iron’ + -ite.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.