One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Land consisting of fens.‘thousands of acres of fenland’
marsh, marshland, salt marsh, wetland, bog, peat bog, bogland, swamp, swamplandView synonyms
- ‘Her setting in the flat fenlands remains dramatic, and before seventeenth century drainage works, it would have been far more so.’
- ‘The whole trip was a very interesting extension of my experience of the English countryside and landscape, a refreshing change from this place where the fenland is so flat and unbroken.’
- ‘How do you keep yourself from getting lost in the fenlands, my lady?’
- ‘The fenlands of eastern England were originally marshland, but have been turned into rich farmland by efficient drainage.’
- ‘With the rise of the kingdom of Mercia further notable foundations were made in the midlands, especially in the Severn valley, while others emerged in the fenlands, such as Peterborough.’
- ‘Soon enough, that road came to an end and I turned right onto a long, straight road heading out towards the open fenland, running parallel with my normal outward route.’
- ‘Between the 1960s and 1980s there was massive work to improve the land drainage in the Vale of Pickering and part of this was to change a beautiful, naturally formed, river into what is basically a fenland drain.’
- ‘First and last, though, it is a book about landscape, and especially fenland.’
- ‘The fenlands of Norfolk are one of the flattest places on the planet and boats are the only way to travel.’
- ‘Looking ahead, we can more than compete with, say, the fenlands of Lincolnshire but we will have to be innovative and use our strengths in mechanisation and the fact that we can work the land here all year round.’
- ‘In Cambridgeshire, the winds lifted the topsoil off the fenland.’
- ‘As you push into East Anglia across the fenland, the earth is utterly flat and the horizon drawn with a ruler.’
- 1.1 The Fens of eastern England.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.