One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An SSRI appetite-suppressant drug once prescribed for obesity, but withdrawn from the US market in 1997 because of safety concerns.
- ‘One uncontrolled report had all seven patients respond to fenfluramine.’
- ‘US health officials last week warned Americans about two potentially deadly Chinese weight-loss pills that may contain fenfluramine, a diet drug pulled from the US market after it was linked to heart problems.’
- ‘The diet drug combination of fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine was linked to heart valve abnormalities and withdrawn although animal studies had never revealed heart abnormalities.’
- ‘In the 1990s, a combination of two drugs, fenfluramine and phentermine - fen-phen - was shown to have a mild short-term effect in helping overweight people lose a few pounds.’
- ‘Because of the withdrawal of fenfluramine from the U.S. market, phentermine is now used as a single weight-loss agent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.