One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having small perforations or transparent areas.
- ‘However, comparison of these extant hemichordates with the erect, fenestrate colonies of Dictyonema is problematical.’
- ‘Unexpectedly primitive features include toothed adsymphysial and intercoronoid fossa with fenestrate floor.’
- ‘Sometimes an unusual and distinctive fenestrate texture is preserved when the outer surface of the xylem is exposed.’
- ‘In the present study, we examine and contrast the meshwork geometries of colonies of the biserial fenestellid bryozoans with colonies of the uniserial fenestrate graptolite Dictyonema.’
- ‘Unlike fenestrate bryozoans, in fenestrate graptolites there is only one row of autozooids per branch.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin fenestratus ‘provided with openings’, from the verb fenestrare.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.