Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having small windowlike perforations or transparent areas.
- ‘However, comparison of these extant hemichordates with the erect, fenestrate colonies of Dictyonema is problematical.’
- ‘In the present study, we examine and contrast the meshwork geometries of colonies of the biserial fenestellid bryozoans with colonies of the uniserial fenestrate graptolite Dictyonema.’
- ‘Unlike fenestrate bryozoans, in fenestrate graptolites there is only one row of autozooids per branch.’
- ‘Sometimes an unusual and distinctive fenestrate texture is preserved when the outer surface of the xylem is exposed.’
- ‘Unexpectedly primitive features include toothed adsymphysial and intercoronoid fossa with fenestrate floor.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin fenestratus provided with openings from the verb fenestrare.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.