One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A combination of the appetite-suppressant drugs fenfluramine and phentermine not used since the withdrawal of fenfluramine from the US market in 1997.
- ‘I lost 25 pounds in three months by using fen-phen (a combination of the drugs fenfluramine and phentermine) back in the mid-1990s.’
- ‘In the 1990s, a combination of two drugs, fenfluramine and phentermine - fen-phen - was shown to have a mild short-term effect in helping overweight people lose a few pounds.’
- ‘The drug, once prescribed for losing weight and known as fen-phen when used with phentermine, was withdrawn by the Food and Drug Administration after reports of cardiac complications.’
- ‘I even lost 95 pounds with fen-phen [a prescription weight-loss drug combination] but gained it all back with my second pregnancy.’
- ‘This explains, of course, why problematic drugs like fen-phen lead to suits against the manufacturer - not the government.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.