One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A combination of the appetite-suppressant drugs fenfluramine and phentermine not used since the withdrawal of fenfluramine from the US market in 1997.
- ‘In the 1990s, a combination of two drugs, fenfluramine and phentermine - fen-phen - was shown to have a mild short-term effect in helping overweight people lose a few pounds.’
- ‘I lost 25 pounds in three months by using fen-phen (a combination of the drugs fenfluramine and phentermine) back in the mid-1990s.’
- ‘This explains, of course, why problematic drugs like fen-phen lead to suits against the manufacturer - not the government.’
- ‘I even lost 95 pounds with fen-phen [a prescription weight-loss drug combination] but gained it all back with my second pregnancy.’
- ‘The drug, once prescribed for losing weight and known as fen-phen when used with phentermine, was withdrawn by the Food and Drug Administration after reports of cardiac complications.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.