One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.
the women's movement, the feminist movement, women's liberation, female emancipation, women's rightsView synonyms
- ‘This was not feminism, indeed the second wave of feminism was largely a reaction against it.’
- ‘At some other point in the interview he accused feminism of being a father-hating movement.’
- ‘Did militant feminism require women to give up their womanhood and adopt masculinity?’
- ‘But if it does need more explanation, let me do so by looking at the history of feminism.’
- ‘Of course there were feminists, but this was a long time before feminism went mainstream.’
- ‘As a man who is committed to social justice, I have always been a supporter of feminism.’
- ‘One would like to request the filmmaker at least to do some reading on feminism.’
- ‘Is there any conflict between Islamic feminism and radical or socialist feminisms?’
- ‘Archival feminist film research is one central strand of feminism and film studies.’
- ‘Liberal feminism has equal rights for men and women as its major concern.’
- ‘Equality feminism and American liberalism seek equality for every individual.’
- ‘For liberal feminism, censorship in one area cannot be separated from censorship in another.’
- ‘Liberal feminism looks at the roles women play in world politics and asks why they are marginalized.’
- ‘Not every dictionary or thesaurus acknowledges the opposite of feminism and feminist.’
- ‘There are few persons today who would openly oppose the general principles of equality that drive feminism.’
- ‘The other aspect of her conservatism which seems most unsavoury today is her hostility to feminism.’
- ‘This is one part of feminism which will never be subject to revisionism.’
- ‘The Government must be proud of its feminism and of what it claims to stand for.’
- ‘Aggressive feminism and political correctness have filled the vacuum of religious authority.’
- ‘Militarism was developed as an antidote to feminism just as much as it was designed to fight socialism.’
Late 19th century: from French féminisme.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.