One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A contraceptive device made of thin rubber, inserted into a woman's vagina before sexual intercourse.
- ‘The committee would also work on standards for condoms made of synthetic materials, female condoms and a condom better suited for use by gay men.’
- ‘You can buy male and female condoms from chemists, as well as from vending machines, supermarkets, garages and other shops.’
- ‘A barrier method such as a male or female condom must be used during sexual intercourse to protect against STIs.’
- ‘I still think it is good that there are female condoms, for anyone who wants to use them or for people with latex allergies.’
- ‘Another barrier choice is the female condom which is inserted into the woman's vagina.’
- ‘Nursing students at Ryerson University are hoping to shed some light on a relatively unknown contraceptive - the female condom.’
- ‘As female condoms are still comparatively expensive and uncommon, male condoms are heavily relied on as the major safer sex resource.’
- ‘Failure is less likely with latex condoms than with polyurethane condoms or female condoms.’
- ‘Although female condoms increase women's options, they are costly and their use may still require their partner's consent.’
- ‘Women desperately need protection from HIV through female controlled-options, such as microbicides and female condoms.’
- ‘A female condom is placed in the vagina, covering the vaginal walls and the entrance to the cervix.’
- ‘Given the low availability of female condoms, it was important to find other way that women can protect themselves, she said.’
- ‘Condoms, female condoms, sterile needle exchanges, and drug treatment are key preventive measures in women.’
- ‘But, the concept for the female condom (in contradistinction to the male condom) is that it puts the locus of negotiation in the hands of the women.’
- ‘The device also could reduce the risk of pregnancy or infection with HIV or other sexually transmitted diseases by acting as a female condom, according to Ehlers.’
female condom/ˈfēˌmāl ˈkändəm/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.