One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(among some peoples) the action or traditional practice of cutting off the clitoris and sometimes the labia of girls or young women.
- ‘The painful and often deadly practice of female circumcision affects millions of women.’
- ‘They are now trained in various aspects of female health, and go from village to village educating women about the harmful effects of female circumcision.’
- ‘Another health issue affecting the Sierra Leonean American population has been the controversy surrounding the practice of female circumcision.’
- ‘Sometimes called female circumcision, this surgery robs girls of the possibility for sexual satisfaction.’
- ‘One traditional practice that has attracted much attention in the last decade is female circumcision.’
female circumcision/ˈfēˌmāl ˌsərkəmˈsiZHən/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.