One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting a group of light-colored minerals including feldspar, feldspathoids, quartz, and muscovite.Often contrasted with mafic
- ‘The rocks of the complex show an overall trend of decreasing mafic minerals and increasing felsic minerals spatially from west to east.’
- ‘The alternating bands of mafic and felsic minerals are a striking and distinctive feature of all gneisses.’
- ‘The present day volumetric variation in the amount of mafic and felsic volcanic rocks preserved in the Parana and Etendeka provinces is interesting.’
- ‘Local hybridization between the mafic and felsic magmas is common.’
- ‘The enclaves probably represent globules of mafic magma in felsic magma.’
Early 20th century: from feldspar + a contraction of silica.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.