One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Words expressing praise for an achievement or good wishes on a special occasion.‘it is my honor to extend the felicitations of the president of France to you’
good wishes, best wishes, greetings, complimentscongratulations, good wishes, best wishes, kind regards, regards, love, blessings, compliments, respectsView synonyms
- ‘Literati painting was often occasional, conveying greetings, felicitations and sympathies between good friends.’
- ‘It is the last general debate for this session of Parliament, so on a personal level I express season's greetings and felicitations to all members of the House.’
- ‘Apart from the regular felicitations to the outstanding students of the various departments, the coveted prize was awarded to a member of the Department of Social Sciences.’
- ‘All the racing fans extend warmest felicitations to Shay and Emma Barry on the birth of their first child, a boy, Jack.’
- ‘The function was punctuated by felicitations as the stars took turns to get on to the stage and wish the movie success.’
- ‘Politicians belonging to different parties shared the same platform to offer felicitations.’
- ‘And hence, the day got off, without extended speeches, felicitations and other programmes.’
- ‘Responding to felicitations, Harikrishna assured that he would continue to try his best.’
- ‘Once the formal felicitations were over children eager for autographs surrounded the cricketer who patiently obliged them all.’
- ‘Most of these felicitations are organised by socio-cultural groups, and it is likely that they are looking to uphold a ‘role model’ for the present times.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.