One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Words expressing praise for an achievement or good wishes on a special occasion.
good wishes, best wishes, greetings, complimentscongratulations, good wishes, best wishes, kind regards, regards, love, blessings, compliments, respectsView synonyms
- ‘Literati painting was often occasional, conveying greetings, felicitations and sympathies between good friends.’
- ‘It is the last general debate for this session of Parliament, so on a personal level I express season's greetings and felicitations to all members of the House.’
- ‘Apart from the regular felicitations to the outstanding students of the various departments, the coveted prize was awarded to a member of the Department of Social Sciences.’
- ‘Most of these felicitations are organised by socio-cultural groups, and it is likely that they are looking to uphold a ‘role model’ for the present times.’
- ‘And hence, the day got off, without extended speeches, felicitations and other programmes.’
- ‘Once the formal felicitations were over children eager for autographs surrounded the cricketer who patiently obliged them all.’
- ‘Responding to felicitations, Harikrishna assured that he would continue to try his best.’
- ‘All the racing fans extend warmest felicitations to Shay and Emma Barry on the birth of their first child, a boy, Jack.’
- ‘The function was punctuated by felicitations as the stars took turns to get on to the stage and wish the movie success.’
- ‘Politicians belonging to different parties shared the same platform to offer felicitations.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.