Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Words expressing praise for an achievement or good wishes on a special occasion.
good wishes, best wishes, greetings, complimentsView synonyms
- ‘Literati painting was often occasional, conveying greetings, felicitations and sympathies between good friends.’
- ‘The function was punctuated by felicitations as the stars took turns to get on to the stage and wish the movie success.’
- ‘It is the last general debate for this session of Parliament, so on a personal level I express season's greetings and felicitations to all members of the House.’
- ‘Most of these felicitations are organised by socio-cultural groups, and it is likely that they are looking to uphold a ‘role model’ for the present times.’
- ‘Apart from the regular felicitations to the outstanding students of the various departments, the coveted prize was awarded to a member of the Department of Social Sciences.’
- ‘Politicians belonging to different parties shared the same platform to offer felicitations.’
- ‘All the racing fans extend warmest felicitations to Shay and Emma Barry on the birth of their first child, a boy, Jack.’
- ‘And hence, the day got off, without extended speeches, felicitations and other programmes.’
- ‘Once the formal felicitations were over children eager for autographs surrounded the cricketer who patiently obliged them all.’
- ‘Responding to felicitations, Harikrishna assured that he would continue to try his best.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.