Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a mineral or rock) of the nature of or containing feldspar.
- ‘Neither sample showed optical evidence for postformation alteration in the form of chloritized veins or sericitization of feldspathic minerals or micas.’
- ‘The turbidites and their migmatized schistose equivalents overlie the grey feldspathic arenites but it is unclear whether this relationship is stratigraphic or the result of tectonic stacking.’
- ‘Compositionally, the turbidites are mostly feldspathic litharenites with trace amounts of serpentinite, anorthosite and mafic volcanic clasts.’
- ‘The lower member is dominated by a thick basal dolomite and passes transitionally upwards into the psammitic upper member, which is largely feldspathic schist and quartzite.’
- ‘The coarse-grained sandstone matrix is dominated by feldspathic litharenites with 50-70% quartz, 2-5% K-feldspar and 10-15% plagioclase.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.