One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area or building where livestock are fed or fattened up.
- ‘Though excess moisture can create mud pits out of huge feedlots, appropriately scaled feedlots do not develop these problems.’
- ‘Having to track these cattle in the feedlot will add costs to American feeders and farmers.’
- ‘This data reveals the thermal stress level of livestock and will be useful in managing cattle in feedlots.’
- ‘Instead of sending them to feedlots to be fattened on grain, farmers are keeping animals home on the range.’
- ‘Twenty-four-hour surveillance of feedlots has shown that cattle would rather feed at sunset - instead of morning, as is usual.’
- ‘Farmers with large livestock feedlots need to recycle voluminous quantities of manure by applying it to their fields as fertilizer.’
- ‘Run-off from barnyards, cropland, feedlots, septic tanks, and intensively managed turf areas such as golf courses can introduce large quantities of organic matter and nutrients into a pond.’
- ‘I spent several years working on this project with a group at the bank who were interested in changing its policy of funding big projects for developing livestock feedlots in developing countries.’
- ‘Several companies sell parasitic wasps for controlling flies in and around livestock buildings and feedlots.’
- ‘By not finishing animals in a feedlot, there are no feedlot-related illnesses, and so there's less need for medications.’
- ‘The collection points should be typical for the feedlot and should exclude areas that won't be removed during yard cleanup.’
- ‘Locate and design feedlots or barnyards carefully to prevent surface runoff toward well heads and well recharge areas, drainage ditches, or streams.’
- ‘Livestock feedlots are typically located to utilize natural surface-drainage conditions.’
- ‘Corn silage is being harvested for the feedlots.’
- ‘House flies may congregate on the faces of cattle in confined feedlots or dairy pens.’
- ‘The main issue this research project is dealing with is water contamination from bacteria and nitrogen and phosphorus in manure from about 100 large cattle feedlots in the watershed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.