One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area or building where livestock are fed or fattened up.
- ‘The main issue this research project is dealing with is water contamination from bacteria and nitrogen and phosphorus in manure from about 100 large cattle feedlots in the watershed.’
- ‘Corn silage is being harvested for the feedlots.’
- ‘House flies may congregate on the faces of cattle in confined feedlots or dairy pens.’
- ‘This data reveals the thermal stress level of livestock and will be useful in managing cattle in feedlots.’
- ‘The collection points should be typical for the feedlot and should exclude areas that won't be removed during yard cleanup.’
- ‘Though excess moisture can create mud pits out of huge feedlots, appropriately scaled feedlots do not develop these problems.’
- ‘Run-off from barnyards, cropland, feedlots, septic tanks, and intensively managed turf areas such as golf courses can introduce large quantities of organic matter and nutrients into a pond.’
- ‘Farmers with large livestock feedlots need to recycle voluminous quantities of manure by applying it to their fields as fertilizer.’
- ‘I spent several years working on this project with a group at the bank who were interested in changing its policy of funding big projects for developing livestock feedlots in developing countries.’
- ‘Instead of sending them to feedlots to be fattened on grain, farmers are keeping animals home on the range.’
- ‘Twenty-four-hour surveillance of feedlots has shown that cattle would rather feed at sunset - instead of morning, as is usual.’
- ‘Livestock feedlots are typically located to utilize natural surface-drainage conditions.’
- ‘By not finishing animals in a feedlot, there are no feedlot-related illnesses, and so there's less need for medications.’
- ‘Several companies sell parasitic wasps for controlling flies in and around livestock buildings and feedlots.’
- ‘Having to track these cattle in the feedlot will add costs to American feeders and farmers.’
- ‘Locate and design feedlots or barnyards carefully to prevent surface runoff toward well heads and well recharge areas, drainage ditches, or streams.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.