One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An icon associated with a URL that is variously displayed, as in a browser's address bar or next to the site name in a bookmark list.
- ‘I know that I've done something right, because when I add this site to my Favourites and then access it again, I see the favicon in my Address bar.’
- ‘It came back after being down for a few hours, and I instantly noticed something new: the favicon was Yahoo's Y!’
- ‘Anyways, the rush work that I had to do is over with, and I'm back making favicons.’
- ‘That icon will do for all pages on that site and is officially a Favorites Icon or favicon, to use Microsoft's term.’
- ‘Here are the only 9 favicons that display properly in IE.’
Early 21st century: blend of favourites and icon.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.