One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Brazilian shack or shanty town; a slum.
- ‘However, she argues that it is reflective of the particular forms of male visions of sexuality and desire that are present in places like the Brazilian favelas.’
- ‘The endless favelas in the major cities are a daily reminder to Brazilians of the tremendous social ills that plague their country.’
- ‘Beginning as illegal settlements, favelas still often lack the most basic kinds of infrastructure such as paved roads, enclosed houses, and reliable electricity.’
- ‘Many areas in the world, from favelas to urban ghettos, are becoming areas where law enforcement officials have little, if any, authority.’
- ‘But more attention must be given to the favelas and the city's housing deficit.’
- ‘However, Brazilian jiu-jitsu evolved into its own distinct style, incorporating techniques honed in the rough favelas of the big cities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.