One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or resembling Faust, a German astronomer and necromancer reputed to have sold his soul to the Devil.‘modern celebrities enter into a Faustian pact with the general public’
- ‘The racial hygienists made a Faustian pact with Nazism.’
- ‘A number of the stories are downers in which Faustian bargains of one kind or another produce predictable results.’
- ‘You feel like you are still paying for that Faustian contract signed but long forgotten.’
- ‘The evidence suggests that slaves were well aware of the 'Faustian' bargain involved in some release arrangements.’
- ‘In European literature there is even a Goethean myth of the Faustian artist who, surpassing compromise, sells his soul to the devil in return for absolute artistic power.’
- ‘He may have just turned 30, but his latest film displays a maturity and confidence that makes you ponder the terms of his Faustian deal.’
- ‘Has he struck a Faustian pact with the devil so he gets all the money in the world in exchange for his soul?’
- ‘His films have had gay sex tied fast to knotty Faustian bargains.’
- ‘The country's religious leaders are toying with the old Faustian bargain: risking a little cultural contamination in exchange for tourist lucre.’
- ‘The reporter graphically portrays what occurred as a "descent into hell" brought about by the Faustian tactics of the police.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.