Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Continual criticism, typically concerning trivial things.
criticism, captiousness, cavilling, quibbling, niggling, pedantry, hair-splittingcomplaining, grumbling, carping, moaning, whining, bleatingnitpicking, griping, grousing, grouching, bellyachingoverniceView synonyms
- ‘The persistent critic, therefore, has a vested interest in fault-finding.’
- ‘Nevertheless, I suspect that most readers will agree with me that they'd much rather read a balanced and appreciative games collection than immerse themselves in this sort of fault-finding.’
- ‘Candide thinks happiness can be gained from fault-finding.’
- ‘I was able to spend time with that person and the complaining and fault-finding was significantly reduced.’
- ‘We are forever on a fault-finding, postmortem mission but do not want to prescribe solutions to problems.’
- ‘It's already shaping up for that pattern of fault-finding, but there could be some variations on that game this time.’
- ‘It is not the overzealous, fault-finding traffic officers who ambush motorists at every street corner.’
- ‘You may be distracted, overly hopeful, in a fault-finding mood, or just plain bored.’
- ‘When you have to confront your child, avoid blaming, criticizing, or fault-finding, which undermine self-esteem and can lead to resentment.’
- ‘Mercury in Virgo certainly activates an avalanche of fault-finding, complaints and gossip, and you may find yourself playing the blame game.’
- ‘So while criticism of volunteers is easy, one should go easy on the fault-finding unless one is willing to get off the fence and do the work.’
- ‘Planetary placements are definitely Virgo-friendly at present so why squander them on fault-finding and criticising?’
- ‘With its relentless fault-finding and its pervasively self-justifying tone, Dickens's essay may well be considered as much a work of ‘political persuasion’ as it is of fact.’
- ‘On a deeper level, this fault-finding is actually a fear-based defense mechanism that keeps other people away.’
- ‘Your personality has a much more critical and fault-finding tone.’
2The investigation of the cause of malfunction in machinery, especially electronic equipment.
- ‘The incredibly helpful error message of ‘an unidentified error has occurred’ isn't exactly helpful when it comes to fault-finding and trouble-shooting either.’
- ‘Copies of a new health book that looks like a car manual, offering a no-nonsense guide to fault-finding and fixing, are being handed out.’
- ‘I do a lot of fault-finding on the jets - it's highly-skilled work.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.