Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to, resembling, or characteristic of a father, especially in being protective and affectionate.‘he gave me such a kind and fatherly look’
paternal, fatherlike, avuncularView synonyms
- ‘He's a fatherly, compassionate figure here, much concerned for the well-being of the tenants on his Sandringham estate.’
- ‘He is down-to-earth, friendly, fatherly and a seemingly great representative for the conscious movement.’
- ‘Right now, everyone could use a little fatherly advice.’
- ‘My dad never really felt the need to have the fatherly sit-down with me, and while my mom is very hip, she's a puppeteer.’
- ‘Is there one piece of fatherly advice that sums him up?’
- ‘Only the presence of the Huntsman provides any sort of male-oriented fatherly compassion.’
- ‘Paul was taken aback by the fatherly protective instincts that seemed to well up from deep inside him.’
- ‘We thank him for having been a wonderful fatherly figure to us.’
- ‘At the time, I think I dismissed his comment as silly fatherly sentiment.’
- ‘He's being fatherly and affectionate, and I can tell she's soaking it up, so I won't join them.’
- ‘God's kingdom is one of fatherly and motherly compassion, not dominating majesty or slavish subjection.’
- ‘His embrace was warm and fatherly, something Ashley had missed growing up.’
- ‘This is commendable because the children will continue to have fatherly care, protection and support.’
- ‘And as he saw her making more of an effort each day, his esteem for her grew with an almost fatherly affection.’
- ‘He took on a fatherly role and I started to call him dad.’
- ‘It was then that I noticed he was peacefully asleep, leaving me to savour a moment of high quality fatherly tenderness.’
- ‘His sweaty hand grabs my shoulder in a fatherly gesture as he comes to sit down on the bar stool beside me.’
- ‘I was getting the fatherly stuff I now realise I wasn't getting at home.’
- ‘Kenny has an incredibly smooth, ultra-relaxed phone voice that evokes an image of a strong, fatherly type.’
- ‘Then he broke into hearty laughter, and strangely, patted my shoulder in an almost fatherly manner.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.