Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of, resembling, or characteristic of a father, especially in being protective and affectionate.‘he gave me such a kind and fatherly look’
paternal, fatherlike, avuncularprotective, supportive, encouraging, vigilantkindly, kind, warm, affectionate, tender, caring, compassionate, benevolent, sympathetic, understanding, indulgentpatriarchalView synonyms
- ‘This is commendable because the children will continue to have fatherly care, protection and support.’
- ‘Then he broke into hearty laughter, and strangely, patted my shoulder in an almost fatherly manner.’
- ‘Kenny has an incredibly smooth, ultra-relaxed phone voice that evokes an image of a strong, fatherly type.’
- ‘He's being fatherly and affectionate, and I can tell she's soaking it up, so I won't join them.’
- ‘It was then that I noticed he was peacefully asleep, leaving me to savour a moment of high quality fatherly tenderness.’
- ‘Paul was taken aback by the fatherly protective instincts that seemed to well up from deep inside him.’
- ‘We thank him for having been a wonderful fatherly figure to us.’
- ‘He took on a fatherly role and I started to call him dad.’
- ‘Is there one piece of fatherly advice that sums him up?’
- ‘He's a fatherly, compassionate figure here, much concerned for the well-being of the tenants on his Sandringham estate.’
- ‘I was getting the fatherly stuff I now realise I wasn't getting at home.’
- ‘His embrace was warm and fatherly, something Ashley had missed growing up.’
- ‘He is down-to-earth, friendly, fatherly and a seemingly great representative for the conscious movement.’
- ‘At the time, I think I dismissed his comment as silly fatherly sentiment.’
- ‘God's kingdom is one of fatherly and motherly compassion, not dominating majesty or slavish subjection.’
- ‘His sweaty hand grabs my shoulder in a fatherly gesture as he comes to sit down on the bar stool beside me.’
- ‘My dad never really felt the need to have the fatherly sit-down with me, and while my mom is very hip, she's a puppeteer.’
- ‘And as he saw her making more of an effort each day, his esteem for her grew with an almost fatherly affection.’
- ‘Right now, everyone could use a little fatherly advice.’
- ‘Only the presence of the Huntsman provides any sort of male-oriented fatherly compassion.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.