Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A wealthy and powerful person, typically one involved in business or politics.[as modifier] ‘a fat-cat developer’
celebrity, famous person, very important person, personality, name, big name, famous name, household name, star, superstar, celebutante, leading light, mogul, giant, great, master, king, guruView synonyms
- ‘When they are privately-owned, they are accountable only to shareholders and fat-cat directors.’
- ‘We're tired of all these fat-cat lackeys who are hungering for power.’
- ‘If the move lines the pockets of a few fat-cat directors, then that is probably because their remuneration is linked to the profits of the company.’
- ‘The real news story is in Arizona and Maine, where Clean Elections laws provide public funding for candidates who avoid fat-cat donors.’
- ‘National wants to sell out our independence in the vain hope of economic benefit for their fat-cat supporters.’
- ‘These are two fat-cat millionaires who couldn't be more out of touch with Ohio.’
- ‘But, in the end, I don't really care to stand here and tell you what a liar this or that politician or clerical hierarch or fat-cat business tycoon is.’
- ‘All have enthusiastically pursued policies of privatization, flogging off public services to fat-cat entrepreneurs.’
- ‘What fat-cat politico wouldn't quake in his boots after a sufficient tongue lashing from this powder keg of fairy dust?’
- ‘He keeps his savings and loan company alive during the depression by reaching out to the tired, poor, and huddled masses spurned by his fat-cat competitor.’
- ‘Unfortunately, when one is in the hands of a monopoly supplier, the only things you can be sure of are increased bills and fat-cat bosses.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.