One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A neutron with high kinetic energy, especially one released by nuclear fission and not slowed by any moderator.
- ‘The normalizing factor for exposure to alpha particles is 20, for thermal neutrons is two, for fast neutrons is 10, for protons is 10, and for beta particles is one.’
- ‘In the fast breeder reactor, the fuel is enriched up to 25 per cent and the reactor can be run on fast neutrons alone.’
- ‘They'd worked with slow neutrons instead of fast neutrons.’
- ‘LETs in this range are high and cannot be obtained with X rays or fast neutrons.’
- ‘Mutation rates after low linear energy transfer radiation, such as X rays, rays, and fast neutrons, have been extensively studied in plants.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.