Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A swift attack from a defensive position in basketball, soccer, and other ball games.‘a defense that shut off our fast break altogether’[as modifier] ‘there are no fast-break baskets’
- ‘The stars of women's professional basketball are making fast breaks on the courts as well as in the children's publishing field.’
- ‘She is your last bastion of defense if the opponent recovers the ball and tries a fast break.’
- ‘They cheer at jet-engine volume whenever he fades away for a jumper or throws down a thundering dunk off of a fast break.’
- ‘The theory proposed here is not to race the ball upcourt looking for a fast break basket.’
- ‘If your defense is great, you should be scoring off fast breaks and transitions.’
- ‘But for the most part, our defense did an excellent job of containing their fast breaks and things like that.’
- ‘This running includes sprinting up and down the court on fast breaks, chasing players cross-court, breaking through picks, and scampering behind a series of screens to get a shot off.’
- ‘A lot of people don't give us credit for that but if the fast break game is not working we'll do something else and we did an excellent job of that.’
- ‘To execute a successful fast break it is necessary to have good positioning on the defensive backboard.’
- ‘He can catch and shoot, can shoot off the dribble and can dunk in the fast break.’
- ‘Our University basketball team is a good team when on a fast break but as soon as the play is slowed down we go to pieces.’
- ‘Get back into the 22 defense very quickly to offset a fast break possibility.’
- ‘Instead of focusing on running fast breaks and shooting the ball, NBA teams have turned to weight training and long, drawn-out, half-court sets.’
- ‘They were able to get easy baskets on the fast break with regularity.’
- ‘They play a low-tempo game and don't run the fast break very often.’
- ‘Otherwise, they will take so long getting into position that a fast break is impossible.’
- ‘For example, if a coach has slow players, the fast break is out of the question.’
- ‘Their defensive concentration is not distracted by anticipation of a fast break.’
- ‘That is, putting up a quick three pointer or forcing a shot before your offense has a chance to set up will lead to tons of fast break opportunities at other end for your opponent.’
- ‘Driving, dishing and pulling up for 3-pointers on fast breaks, he either scored or assisted on eight of Dallas' first nine field goals.’
Make a swift attack from a defensive position in certain ball games.‘fast-breaking relentlessly is harder than playing a control game’
- ‘The second half continued much the same as the first with his dominating the game and fast breaking down the court at every opportunity.’
- ‘Often, if the other team is fast breaking, a player will need to defend the ball even if its not her man.’
- ‘New Jersey was fast breaking all over them at the beginning of the game; dunks and uncontested layups all over the place.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.